The Elim Story
Elim was founded by Swedish Lutherans. On October 14, 1891, the Elim Lutheran Svenska Church of the Augustana Synod was organized. There were 17 charter members and 11 additional families were quickly added. The first services were held in Peterson's Feed Store in downtown Fargo. Hard planks were laid on nail kegs. The first church was constructed in 1892 and every member was responsble to make sure it was clean and cared for.
The original church was sold in 1905 to the Norwegian Synod and moved off its present location to 4th Avenue and Roberts Street. The new building was built in 1905, remodeled in 1939, and expanded in 1961. The years since have seen numerous remodels and renovations.